Mindfulness for Living Well - 17th January 2018
An 8 module course held on Wednesday evenings.
Mindfulness helps people to see their situation, thoughts and feelings in a non-judgmental way so they can stop themselves from reacting impulsively. It gives them time and space to consider a new way of acting, to break a negative cycle of thinking and doing, and to feel more in control of their actions.
The programme consists of an 8 module course with each Wednesday session lasting 2.5 hours from 7:00 until 9:30pm with home practice each day of between 40 - 60 minutes.
It is based on the practice of Mindfulness – moment by moment non-judgemental awareness - which we explore progressively over the course. This enables us to gradually build up a rich awareness of ourselves, as well as our relationships to others, leading to a more creative life even when experiencing long term pain or illness, fatigue or stress.
The main components of the programme are:
- Breath Awareness. We start by investigating our breathing habits, so we can learn to use the natural breath as an aid to managing our pain, illness or stress.
- The Body Scan. This is a meditation practice that helps us to develop habits of greater ease and awareness of the body, using the breath to help us 'let go' of areas of pain or tension. We give you a CD to use at home.
- Mindful Movement. We discuss the importance of keeping our bodies in as good physical condition as possible in order to stop a cycle of disuse, loss of function and more pain or fatigue. We include gentle movements (based on yoga and pilates) which have been devised by an experienced yoga teacher, so they are appropriate for people suffering from a wide range of physical conditions.
- Mindfulness of Daily Life (Pacing). By bringing awareness to the activities of daily life we learn to overcome the very common tendency of overdoing it on good days or collapsing on bad days, with accompanying emotions of unrealistic hope followed by frustration and despair. Using pacing diaries we learn how to make choices throughout the day, based on our developing awareness, enabling us to have a more balanced approach to life.
- The Breathing Space. This is a very effective way of coming back to an awareness of ourselves in the midst of daily life. We will teach you how to take it in the midst of whatever activity you are engaged with, before returning to it feeling refreshed and focused.
- Mindfulness of Breathing This meditation practice helps us develop awareness of ourselves in greater detail. By resting in a responsive space between suppressing our experience of pain or illness on the one hand, and over-identifying with it on the other, we can learn to make choices as to how we respond to our moment by moment experience. We give you a CD to use at home.
- Kindly Awareness. This meditation practice in many respects forms the heart of the programme. We first become aware of all aspects of our present experience without pushing away pain or grasping after pleasure. This gives rise to a sense of gentle stability or strength. We then broaden our field of awareness to include other people and reflect on all we share. In this way we come to feel a deep sense of connection with others where our own experience of pain or suffering becomes a moment of empathy, rather than a prison. We give you a CD to use at home.
- The Human Condition. We also encourage people to use their circumstances as an opportunity to see more deeply into the human condition. By seeing more deeply into humanity it is possible to come to terms with our own difficulties, whilst also developing an empathy with others who suffer.
All these methods of mindfulness can be practiced on our own at home, enabling us to feel in charge of our own health and pain management. Gradually, over time, progress can be made and confidence improved. Two key principles underlie all these aspects of mindfulness and run through the whole course:
- Learning to live in the present moment and breathe into our experience.
- Learning to respond rather than react to our life’s circumstances.
- Module 1 - 17th January 2018
- Module 2 - 24th January 2018
- Module 3 - 31st January 2018
- Module 4 - 4th February 2018
- Module 5 - 14th February 2018
- Module 6 - 28th Frbruary 2018
- Module 7 - 7th March 2018
- Module 8 - 14th March 2018
All sessions start at 7:00pm and finish at 9:30pm
January 17th, 2018 7:00 PM
March 14th, 2018 9:30 PM
Merthyr Mawr Road North
Bridgend, CF31 3NH
|Full Place - Payment in Full
|Concession (Student or Benefits) - Payment in Full
|Special Professional Discount (only by prior agreement)