The main components of the programme are:
- Breath Awareness. We start by investigating our breathing habits, so we can learn to use the natural breath as an aid to managing our life experience including stress, illness or pain.
- The Body Scan. This is a meditation practice that helps us to develop habits of greater ease and awareness of the body, using the breath to help us 'let go' of areas of stress or tension. We give you a CD to use at home.
- Mindful Movement. Bringing full attention to improve awareness as you move so you can take the training into daily life - bringing awareness to lifting, walking, bending, reaching and so on, learning to move with the breath.
- Mindfulness of Daily Life. By bringing awareness to the activities of daily life we learn to overcome the very common tendency of overdoing it on good days or collapsing on bad days, with accompanying emotions of unrealistic hope followed by frustration and despair. Using diaries we learn which activities nurture or deplete our resources, how to make choices throughout the day based on our developing awareness, enabling us to have a more balanced approach to life.
- The Breathing Space. This is a very effective way of coming back to an awareness of ourselves in the midst of daily life. We will teach you how to take it in the midst of whatever activity you are engaged with, before returning to it feeling refreshed and focused.
- Mindfulness of Breathing This meditation practice helps us develop awareness of ourselves in greater detail. By resting in a responsive space between suppressing our experience of pain or illness on the one hand, and over-identifying with it on the other, we can learn to make choices as to how we respond to our moment by moment experience. We give you a CD to use at home.
- Kindly Awareness. This meditation practice in many respects forms the heart of the programme. We first become aware of all aspects of our present experience without pushing away difficulties or grasping after pleasure. This gives rise to a sense of gentle stability or strength. We then broaden our field of awareness to include other people and reflect on all we share. In this way we come to feel a deep sense of connection with others where our own experience of difficulties or suffering becomes a moment of empathy, rather than a prison. We give you a CD to use at home.
- The Human Condition. We also encourage people to use their circumstances as an opportunity to see more deeply into the human condition. By seeing more deeply into humanity it is possible to come to terms with our own difficulties, whilst also developing an empathy with others who suffer.
All these methods of mindfulness can be practiced on our own at home, enabling us to feel in charge of our own health and pain management. Gradually, over time, progress can be made and confidence improved. Two key principles underlie all these aspects of mindfulness and run through the whole course:
- Learning to live in the present moment and breathe into our experience.
- Learning to respond rather than react to our life’s circumstances.
- Module 1 - 29th March 2018
- Module 2 - 19th April 2018
- Module 3 - 26th April 2018
- Module 4 - 10th May 2018
- Module 5 - 17th May 2018
- Module 6 - 24th May 2018
- Module 7 - 7th June 2018
- Module 8 - 21st June 2018
All sessions start at 7:00pm and finish at 9:30pm
The Friends Meeting House
87 Park Street
Bridgend, CF31 4AZ